Wednesday 29 October 2014

Halloween Cupcakes

Since I have some time off school, I thought there was no better way to spend my Tuesday then to bake. Not just any old bake though, this was the mighty Halloween bake where I attempted to make up some devilish treats that looked and tasted the part.  The substance was without a doubt delicious, as for style though, let's just say it was more about making the best out of a bad situation. *SPOILER ALERT* sometimes icing just doesn't want to stick to the chocolate pumpkin no matter how much you try. 

You will need:

Cakes (however many you want - I made 8)
Buttercream (whatever flavour - I chose white chocolate)
4 Smarties Chocolate Pumpkins
Marshmallows
Galaxy Cookie Crumble Bars
Orange Royal Icing
White Icing/Modelling Paste
Black Icing Pen



1. Dip all four chocolate pumpkins into the orange icing. I'm not going to lie, this was a struggle. If I could give you any advice, it would be to keep the icing cool and thick or just skip step 1 and buy some ready-made sugar craft pumpkins. 


2. Cut out four irregular disc shapes from the white icing. These do not need to be perfect!


3. Spread the buttercream over the cupcakes. You can pipe it if you prefer, but the buttercream isn't going to be seen so it can be as messy as you like!


5. Add a marshmallow on top of half of the cakes and place the white discs on top to create the body of a ghost.



6) Crush the cookie crumble bars into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the remaining cupcakes to look like mud.


7) Ice the faces onto the ghosts and pumpkins. I gave up with the pumpkins in the end as the icing wouldn't stop slippin' and slidin'. If anyone asks, it was intentional, they're melted pumpkins! Oooh how spooky and appropriately festive!




They weren't a complete failure I guess! 

Have a lovely Halloween whatever you're doing, let me know below in the comments! 

"Where there is no imagination, there is no horror." - Arthur Conan Doyle Sr. 

Lots of love, 

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment