Thursday 16 October 2014

Booklook: Recent Reads

I thought I'd update you on what's been going on book wise. If you read my Summer Wishlist Tag you'll know that I set myself a goal to read more books this summer. If I'm honest, I didn't read loads but I have a good excuse! I've just been busy getting things done so I'm now excited for things to slow down and to get stuck in to some great reads this Autumn. I did read a couple of books on holiday though, both of which I enjoyed so much that I wanted to share more about them with you.





Finding Violet Park - Jenny Valentine

Finding Violet Park or Me, the Missing, and the Dead in the U.S. is a coming of age/mystery novel about a fatherless teenage boy, Lucas Swain, who finds an urn containing the ashes of the titular Violet Park abandoned in a minicab office and determines to lay her to rest. When I first read the blurb of this book I was concerned that I would find it disturbing and un-settling, but I actually found it fascinating more than anything - it is so interesting watching the story un-ravel. I'd recommend this to those who love realistic teen fiction. 


Room - Emma Donoghue 

This story is told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy, Jack, who is being held captive in a small room along with his mother. At first, I found this book quite difficult to get into because the story moved quite slowly in the first chapter (there are 3 chapters in total). By about the second chapter though, I was completely hooked.  The relationship between Jack and his Mother is totally endearing and I couldn't help but feel as though I was experiencing everything with them whilst reading. As for the story, well, let's just say this is about as shocking as it gets. I don't want to reveal too much because starting this book completely un-aware of what the situation is it what makes it so great, but, it really is worth a read. 

I am currently reading If I Stay at the moment. I challenged myself to read the book before watching the film, but I'm a slow reader and now I'll have to wait for the DVD! *sighs* I feel like history may repeat itself with Gone Girl too! Has anyone seen either of the films or read the books? Let me know if they're good. I am also open to any book recommendations so let me know if you have a favourite! 

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." - Haruki Murakami

Lots of love,

Lily 

No comments:

Post a Comment