Saturday 28 June 2014

Booklook: My Top 5 Holiday Reads

Now it's getting to that time of year where people prepare to fly off for a week or two abroad. If you're anything like me, you love reading a good book whilst catching some rays. Saying that, I'm pretty much a bookworm all of the time so I am starting a little series called 
'Booklook' where I can share my current favourites or anything book related. It can be difficult choosing a book though, so I thought I would suggest a few of my most loved books if you fancy a read this summer.

I always get the impression that people associate holiday/summer books with fluffy, easy-going stories. Not everyone is keen on the idea of depressing themselves on what's meant to be a relaxing break, but my favourite books are deep, thought-provoking novels. In my opinion, a holiday book can be any genre, just a great page-turner that is sure to keep you entertained as you bathe by the pool and sip on cocktails!

1. The Fault in our Stars - John Green

There may be a fault in their stars, but there really isn't a fault with this book. I would describe it as utterly perfect. It is about two extraordinary teenagers who meet at a cancer support group and fall in love. I have to say, the book is incredibly sad but also uplifting at the same time. I love how John Green combines comedy with such a serious and emotional 


topic like cancer. I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone and if you liked the movie, you'll love the book!





2. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones is about a young girl who has been murdered and watches over her family and her killer from heaven. It is one of those books that I presumed would be scary due to the word 'bones' in the title and although there  are some dark and sad moments, there is a lot of positivity to be taken away as the book touches upon matters such as dealing with grief and vengeance. It was really interesting seeing it from a unique perspective such as purgatory and it is one of those books that will have you hooked from page one.







3. Spilled Water - Sally Grindley


Spilled Water is a powerful and compelling novel about a Mother encouraged to sell her young daughter into domestic service. I fell in love with this book from start to finish as I found it so fascinating learning about another culture and I especially enjoyed escaping to China when reading the book. I really enjoyed the alternating paragraphs from present to past and the story definitely tugged on my heartstrings. The book also won the Smarties Gold Award in 2004.





4. Ketchup Clouds - Annabel Pitcher


Ketchup Clouds tells the story of a teenage girl who has a dark secret she is afraid to confess to anyone but her pen friend who is in prison. Whilst reading this story, I couldn't help but feel completely involved which lead to me feeling quite sinister. It's one of those books that draws you in completely and  you are desperate to find out what happens next. This book is quite similar to The Lovely Bones in the sense that it plays on your mind for days on end once you have finished reading it because of the ever so intriguing plot.





5. The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer

The Shock of the Fall is a haunting but fascinating take on guilt, death and illness that recently won best first novel at the 2014 Costa Book Awards. The first-person narrative and the way in which Matt (the main character) writes really allows an insight into his mind and keeps the book incredibly raw and entertaining. The story is very gripping and a real eye-opener.





"The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one which makes you think." - Harper Lee

Lots of love,

Lily





11 comments:

  1. I've read nearly all of these books - I loved Ketchup Clouds and The Fault in our Stars (who doesn't!?), but wasn't so taken with The Lovely Bones or The Shock of the Fall - I couldn't identify with the characters I guess. I've never read Spilled Water, but it definitely sounds like it's worth a read!
    Oh, and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - sorry about giving you cupcake cravings though!
    Beth x
    swallowsandskylines.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The Shock of the Fall was a lot harder to get into and the ending wasn't the most satisfying but I did find the story quite interesting. Ah yes it is - Spilled Water is a lovely, heart-warming book!

      You're very welcome. Haha, don't worry about it, nothing that a bit of chocolate couldn't fix! ;) x

      Delete
  2. I just came across your blog and I have been scrolling through so many of your posts! I wanted to say that I love your blog and I can't wait for your next post!
    Maya xox

    www.youngglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just so happen to love your blog too - will definitely be becoming a member! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. I have read all of these except for Ketchup Cloud and The Shock of the Fall - They both sound really interesting! :) Great post. x

    http://fe-rnweh.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend both! Thank you :) x

      Delete
  4. Brilliant recommendations, I'll be taking a look at some of these once I finish my current book. The Lovely Bones is one that I've wanted to read for a while but I thought it would be too scary for me.

    http://IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought exactly the same - some parts are a bit dark and almost creepy, but it is more interesting and also sad than anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to start reading a lot again! Will definitely pick some of these up whenever I'm next in Waterstones or WHSmith's x

    http://nastyadts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these books sound amazing, i've definitely been having trouble finding a book I can stick with, I would really like to give "Ketchup Clouds" & "The Shock of the Fall" a go :)

    http://emicphany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good post,dear.Your blog is so nice :)
    Would you mind checking out mine and following if you like it?
    Keep in touch love!

    ReplyDelete